Star Roses won seven out of 11 most sustainable, hardy, pest-resistant

A meeting place for rose breeders.
henry kuska

Star Roses won seven out of 11 most sustainable, hardy, pest-resistant

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 pm

"Star Roses and Plants is excited to announce it recently won seven out of 11 awards from The American Rose Trials for Sustainability (A.R.T.S.) program. A.R.T.S. identifies the most sustainable, hardy, pest-resistant and beautiful rose cultivars for use in American landscapes and gardens."

http://www.gardencentermag.com/article/ ... y-program/

philip_la

Re: Star Roses won seven out of 11 most sustainable, hardy, pest-resistant

Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:22 am

And here are the rest: http://www.nurserymag.com/article/ameri ... ty-awards/
Lots of variations on the Radler roses.
Interesting to see that Limoncello made the cut. It's exceedingly floriferous, and a very nice rose, but when stressed in my prior garden, it was moderately prone to BS. I have not yet released it into my new garden to compare with Carefree Sunshine. The soil here is much better, and the roses in general are performing much better. (Limoncello never set a hip for me at the old house.)
I've never grown any of Ping Lim's roses, but nice to see his successes. And then, of course, there's David's! (Is it Oso Happy, or Oso Easy? HMF and Nursery Mgmt don't seem to agree...)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

david zlesak

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank you Philip!!

Thank you Philip! I'm excited for A.R.T.S. becoming a stronger voice for scientific regional rose testing in the US with it going into its second year of awards being announced. Oso Happy Petit Pink is how Spring Meadow Nursery first introduced it. They also had the two other small flowered roses they introduced of mine in the Oso Happy series (Candy Oh! and Smoothie). I like the name Oso Happy. It became confusing for consumers though to also have Oso Easy with a lot more roses in that brand and some smaller flowered roses in that brand too. It was hard to articulate what made Oso Happy with only 3 roses in the series different from Oso Easy and people want roses that are healthy and easy. This year they dropped the Oso Happy brand and moved Petit Pink to Oso Easy and dropped my Candy Oh! and Smoothie moving forward. I love Petit Pink for its floriferousness and tidy plant habit. It is triploid and a bit hard to work with, but with patience myself and others have gotten some pollen that is fertile to use on easier seed parents. It can give some nice offspring. It can set some op hips, but with controlled crosses it has been difficult to get a lot of seed set.

srpshoy

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:22 pm

David
Are you saying Oso Happy Smoothie is no longer going to be available?
Stephen

david zlesak

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi Stephen,

Yes... I can try to take some cuttings this summer to share with folks that would like it. I should be more proactive seeing if other nurseries would like to pick it up. I think since it and Candy Oh! are small flowered singles and not necessarily what people think of as typical roses, they aren't interested. I reached out to two other nurseries last spring and that was their message.

philip_la

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am

I wish I thought OsH Smothie would be a little more heat and sun tolerant. That's very nice plant, and its encouraging for me to see a thornless mauve-ish rose derived from setigera, (though I'm guessing the R.s. has little to nothing to do with the coloring). Have you gotten promising results using her as a parent? I'm wondering what one might get using some Violette derivative combined with her.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

david zlesak

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Philip!

I wish I have used it more over the years to say more. I've been transitioning gardens, etc. in recent years. I like the habit that R. setigera contributes for flower clusters. R. multiflora and R. wichurana based polys seem to have more elongated clusters of flowers that often lead to longer stems that are a bit asymmetric. R. setigera has more of a mounded cluster of flowers with the king or center bloom closer to the height of the others. The effect is a more rounded plant habit with flowers more uniformly over the outer perimeter. Smoothie gives some nice picottees and has more of that nice habit of flowers in clusters as R. setigera.

jbergeson

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 pm

David's Candy Oh! is a great performer around here. I love the shrubbiness and vigor. It might be too vigorous for warmer climes, but in our climate we need excellent regrowth. See pic. It's basically a bright red Little Princess Spirea with thorns that blooms all summer.

David's comments about setigera make me wonder if I should be smearing more pollen on to setigera "Serena". The fact that I got a seedling from when crossed with Cherry Frost, which, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't much Synstylae, makes me wonder if I could get seedlings from any other modern pollen. Maybe "The Fairy" would work on it? Or Commander Gillette? I'm burnt out but gotta keep pushing pollen.
Attachments
IMG_9224.JPG

philip_la

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:05 am

Thank you, David, for that tidbit on the architecture of the panicles! That's exactly the type of info I was hoping I might find in the thread on species, and is very good information to have.
Joe's spirea comment suggests something I was thinking. The "not what folks think of as typical roses" issue isn't necessarily a handicap. In fact, I think the "look-a-likes" series from Star takes that idea and runs with it, turning it into a marketing tool. (Folks didn't always think of KO as a "rose" either.)
I see Candy Oh! is purportedly somewhat heat tolerant as well.
Joe, I dunno about Commander Gillette, but Legacy (and the amphidiploid parent) might have a decent chance of breeding if the ploidy issue isn't problematic. (The abyssinian rose is a synstylae.) But now I'm telling you *my* plans, just as soon as I can get either of those two parent plants!
Philip F.

jbergeson

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Philip, Kim Rupert swears that Commander Gillette and Legacy are the same plant. I call it Commander. So that should maybe work and preserve thornlessness, which it seems like Serena is not that good at passing along. Commander is very good at passing along thornlessness. The only problem is that Commander passes along reblooming genes only a small percentage of the time...it would have been nice to know that the resultant seedlings, which will all be non-remontant, would have at least the potential to pass on rebloom. Also, as a tetraploid the seedlings will be triploid and might be sterile.

philip_la

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:41 am

Ah... Thanks, Joe. The ploidy issue I'd be willing to beat my head against -- one knows relatively quickly if they are succeeding or failing. But the remontancy issue would be seriously frustrating. Giving garden space over to a plant for several years before even knowing if it offers anything to future progeny is *not* something I care to struggle with. Thanks for that caveat.
Philip F.