On striped roses...

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

On striped roses...

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

I haven't worked with stripes before this year, and had some questions:
When crossing a stripe with a non-stripe modern hybrid, what is the expected approximate percentage of striped offspring? (I know this has been addressed in the past, but I seem to recall multiple answers, and cannot find threads on such.)

When crossing a stripe with a non-stripe having stripes in its pedigree, such as e.g. Dick Clark (parent Fourth of July) what would be the expected percentage? (On HMF someone posted a striped sport of DC)

And is it likely that any very small percentage of e.g. Dick Clark x Modern Rose (no-stripe) might be striped?

Thanks
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Karl K

Re: On striped roses...

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:26 pm

I have no personal experience breeding stripes, but I do have a bit of data. In this case, about 1/3 of the seedlings inherited some of the pollen parent's striping.

1985 American Rose Annual 
Striped Roses Are Here!
Ralph S. Moore
Some years ago, as an aside from our usual line of crosses, we used some pollen from a striped hybrid perpetual of unknown ancestry. From this cross (Little Darling x Ferdinand Pichard) came 29 seedlings—all climbers or semi-climbers except two. Of these 29 plants, nine showed some degree of striping—red and white or pink and white. Some had only a few stripes; others were well-striped. 
http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Roses/breeding/ ... ripes.html