Oscar Peterson

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jbergeson

Oscar Peterson

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 am

I just got the following email from a customer. I haven't carried Oscar Peterson yet, but it looks like I will have to!

Begin quote:

Attached are some photos of one of my Oscar Peterson roses. These photos were taken June 3 in my Grand Forks garden. The plant is starting its second summer. Despite a low of -28 last winter, there was no winter kill on the four-foot canes (which extended about two feet over the snow cover). Last summer the plant showed no signs of blackspot (which was present on my Morden Sunrises). Oscar's hips turned orange and provided some winter interest.

My George Reid and Campfire roses also came through with no winterkill (and showed no signs of blackspot last summer), but neither variety reached the height or size of Oscar. Campfire is a blooming machine, however. My Morden Sunrises did die back but regrew from the bottom.

I didn't provide any winter protection other than a couple inches of leaves. We did have decent snow cover. But, as mentioned earlier, the Oscars had at least two feet of open canes exposed above the snow line and those canes budded out to the tips this spring. The plants leafed out early and looked like thick green bushes by mid-May.

I am writing to recommend the Oscar Peterson rose. I know there are more plants than space, but Oscar is quite a performer with good size and impressive vigor. It is more than a good rose, it is a good plant.

End Quote
Attachments
Oscar Peterson Rose.jpg
Oscar Peterson