Blooms too much?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
RBaxter

Blooms too much?

Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm giving up on my 2017 crop of Rêve d'Or x Blush Noisette seedlings with one exception below. I remember someone saying that Rêve d'Or seedlings were nothing special - agree, and another saying that Blush Noisette as a pollen parent was highly dominant - agree.

But this little guy I'd like to keep. The blooms last longer, the fragrance is nice, and as the only one of the bunch with much color, the blush flecks deepen with age. I've been pinching off the blooms because it seems to prefer blooming to the thriving. The bloom below would not have happened if I'd caught it. The plant is otherwise healthy, but only about a quarter of the size of its gone siblings.

The little booger has me confused. If this photo shows signs of a disease that might be causing this behavior I'd appreciate any thoughts. Should I bail on this one too?

Baxter
Attachments
IMG_1889.jpg
Katy TX Zone 9A

roseseek

Re: Blooms too much?

Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

There are more roses than you can imagine which flower at the expense of growth. It's nice having one which insists upon flowering, but for anything "commercial", it can be a deal breaker. Hopefully, this one isn't as severe a case as those such as Fantan and Grey Pearl. I don't see anything resembling a disease on the foliage. The spots on the petals simply appear to be age and water spots.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence