Carefree Copper pollen

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Larry Davis

Carefree Copper pollen

Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 pm

With such a late spring, Carefree Copper is just winding up its flowering season. I harvested flowers the past few days and have pollen dry enough now to ship. If interested contact me at ldavis using my ksu address which is an edu. Just give a good letter mailing address

RBaxter

Re: Carefree Copper pollen

Thu May 24, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks Dr. D,

My first target is Applejack. It has yellow in its background, but I suspect that most of the yellow, for lack of better words, is "Tea yellow", not the R. foetida yellow. But the cross might be fun to work with on other yellows and oranges from the Cläre Grammerstorf descendants, one of which is Prairie Sunrise, my second target, and it carries genes from all of the above.

Baxter
Katy TX Zone 9A

andre carl

Thu May 24, 2018 9:41 am

I like your thinking on using it to produce yellow colors. However...

I have one seedling of I kept from Carefree Copper (more will be in the works this year). In 2012 I did a Dorcas (Buck) X Carefree Copper which germinated in spring of 2013 (it is on hmf if interested in seeing it). I was hoping to get something with the stippling of Dorcas or at least in the apricot to cream range. It actually resulted in seedling which produces beautiful rich, velvety red blooms. So, despite the yellow in the background, expect other colors to creep in.

Despite not meeting what I expected (wanted?), this seedling is quite nice and has finally come into its own this year and will be producing many blooms for this spring. I still have not been able to determine if it is a once-bloomer or repeat bloomer as the two times it has bloomed, it only produced 1 or two blooms with one cycle in the spring of 2014 and the other in mid to late summer of 2017. This year I hope to figure out the blooming cycle.

The above seedling code is: DORCAS CARCOP01 or Seedling 13-121

Larry Davis

Sat May 26, 2018 8:42 pm

I've not been able to get Applejack to produce significant # hips from various pollen sources. No germination of the few seeds.

My best offspring of CC finally bloomed in profusion this spring. A back cross to Creefree Beauty germ in 2012, a few blooms last yr and yr before. Color like a brighter Above and Beyond. Loses some yellow over a couple days but makes a nice pinkish shade, very compatible with teh newly opened flowers. Drops petals at 4-6 days. We'll see if I can get seeds on it with Austrian Copper and Rainbow KO. Definitely once blooming but completely fungal disease free. I do have one grandchild of CC that reblooms in a yellow shade. Most of its offspring are once bloomers and not fully disease resistant in a zero spray setting. Others that look good are near sterile with the pollens I have available. Some very nice yellows. I can appreciate how hard it was to introduce that yellow into the French roses to get Pernetianas.

Red pops up in unexpected places. As I mentioned somewhere else before, Crosses with Rainbow KO as pollen donor can give very dark red petals. Pink shows you have the pathway. Intensity of anthocyanin is regulated on top of that. I could easily imagine Applejack x CC giving a scarlet changing to mauve.

philip_la

Sun May 27, 2018 2:13 am

Larry, I know you have often spoke of -- and offered pollen from -- this rose in the past, and I am sure I have seen it in a photo before, but I'm curious if you have photos on the forum somewhere. Am I correct in recalling this is one of the parents of Orange Surprise? Thanks. (I'm asking out of academic curiosity -- most of my roses are past their best flushes as temps have hit triple digits.)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Larry Davis

Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 pm

CC was in the Newsletter some years ago, less than 10 I'd guess. It was a cross of Carefree Beauty as parent and Austrian Copper as pollen donor. Quite winter hardy in our latitude to well below 0 F (before global warming) and reasonably disease resistant compared to AC. Fairly double (25-30 petals and petaloids) with a scarlet petal when open and yellow back like AC. Very thorny, growth habit like AC, generally not over 4 ft tall. Don posted a good photo of it in his climate a few years back.

One year I was able to propagate quite a few and distributed them. Pollen is very abundant and I've run out of things to use it on. Not very fertile as a female, less than 10 % takes with several pollen donors. But I still got at least a dozen good once-bloomers that I have let go away through neglect and drought, and shade of walnut trees. This latest is more disease resistant and has a nice bush form and good foliage a bit larger than its parent CC.

OrSup was Pink single mini x CC pollen. Now it has progeny, or a larger sport of OrSup which gets about 2 ft tall and has loads of small semi-dbl blooms throughout the season with a coloring like CC.

RBaxter

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:48 am

Yep, scratch the Applejack idea. I split it between Prairie Sunrise and Aloha, and used the leftover on R. bracteata just because I was already in the bramble and I had it in my kit.
Katy TX Zone 9A

philip_la

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks, Larry. You had generously shared a cutting of Orange Surprise with me several years ago. I lost it when I became somewhat bedridden from a back injury and unable to get out to tend my plants during a drought. I had grown to like it despite its susceptibility to mildew, but didn't get around to hybridizing with it.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Larry Davis

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Maybe next spring I should offer the "offspring of OrSup" I was not aware of a mildew issue as we generally don't see that except when I cultivate it by placing a known bad actor next to seedlings. I've been having really good results for bloom production using the taller version. Now asking it to be a parent to something (tried 5-6 pollens on it this year, a few last yr.)