"Propagation of Rose (Rosa Hybrida L.) Under Tissue Culture Technique"

A meeting place for rose breeders.

philip_la

Re: "Propagation of Rose (Rosa Hybrida L.) Under Tissue Culture Technique"

Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

How realistic (or not) is it for a layman to attempt tissue culture at home? I've often thought it might be a good method for those interested in chromosome doubling for established plants, and have even wondered if there is any potential to overcome sterility issues with some cultivars in tinkering with cell division -- though that is not an educated "wondering" on my part at all...
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Don

Re: "Propagation of Rose (Rosa Hybrida L.) Under Tissue Culture Technique"

Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 pm

The biggest obstacle I personally found was the time commitment. It was too hard find the time with a job and kids.

It's not a difficult technique to master but does require some capital investment for things like a sterile hood for manipulations and a pressure cooker (in lieu of autoclave) for media preparation. You need a supply of culture tubes, some basic tools like scalpels and tweezers, a Bunsen burner for sterilizing the tools whilst in use, and Murishege and Skoog salts which, if you buy them prepackaged, can be pricey on a per use basis but if, alternatively, you buy a bottle of each required compound can be cheaper per use but hugely expensive up front. Plant hormones like benzyl amino purine and indole acetic acid are also necessary and are not cheap either.

Armstrong reportedly used it as means of propagation in the 80's although they gave it up eventually. Harm Saville, who ran Nor'East Miniature Roses, tried it, setting up a basement lab, but he gave it up too. I visited a huge propagation operation in Apopka, Florida once that claimed to be using it as the latest greatest technology in their PR but, alas, they were fibbing. The only commercial nursery that I know of personally that did make it work is Weston Nurseries in Hopkinton. Their lab manager even invented a great little egg-shape autoclavable culture vessel made of polycarbonate. This was back in the 80's. I can't say whether they still use tissue culture, you could call and inquire. If the are then they would be the ones to get advice from. Oh, also High Country Rosarium was using it then, too, and it would not surprise me to find that still to be the case though they were not really cooperative on advice at the time I was looking.

One of the big problems propagators run into with plant tissue culture is lack of phenotypic uniformity in the regenerated plants. It seems that a lot of horticultural cultivars are chimeras and this was indeed reported for roses.

If you have the time and resources I have some papers on culture media in addition to the one Henry posted.
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.