downy mildew research

A meeting place for rose breeders.
henry kuska

downy mildew research

Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:55 pm

"Further work needs to be done on breeding using wild roses as new sources for resistance and using new methods such as marker assisted selection and RNAi technologies."

See:

https://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/ ... 17-1968-FE

david zlesak

Re: downy mildew research

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 pm

It would be wonderful to have roses with good resistance to downy mildew. Dr. Pascal Heitzler is doing some great work with Rosa arvensis. It supposed to have resistance and some good shade tolerance. I tried to find a source for the species in the US, but haven't been successful yet. It would hopefully cross pretty well with diploid polyanthas being in the same section (Systylae; used to be called Synstylae). I had some roses I was hardening off outside in partial shade that were under lights in the house and left them there for a bit too long before moving them out to more sun. Downy really took off... I've had more of it in the outdoor garden beds during wet springs the past couple years too.

Karl K

Re: downy mildew research

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:37 pm

If you know someone associated with the San Jose Heritage Garden, you might be able to get a start. It was growing there the last time I looked ... but that was several years ago. 'Splendens' (Ayrshire) was also growing there at one time.