Rugosa rubra seedling question

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

Rugosa rubra seedling question

Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:33 pm

In, I think it was, 2012, I collected numerous R. rugosa rubra seeds from hips in the vicinity of the St. Lawrence River on a trip in Canada. I finally got around to processing them this January, and now have thus far 10 seedlings. One or two have a bit more anthocyanins in their stems below the cotyledons (most have pretty basic green stem, and not bronze-colored) and I'm curious if this will pan out to mean anything pertaining to foliage or flower color? The parent plants were pretty well isolated, with only species roses in the vicinity. (I think I recall another species rose along the shores, having slightly glossier deeply etched leaves) I don't recall if there were white rugosas in the area, but would imagine there might have been.

With well over 100 seeds, any insights that might help me with culling prior to blooming would be helpful!

Thanks, in advance, for any insights.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

philip_la

Re: Rugosa rubra seedling question

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 am

I did a follow up in the post "purples/lavenders for breeding".
One of the reasons I had for growing several rugosas from seed was to hopefully find one that might contribute to purple coloring, and I noted that some roses such as Rotes Phänomen and Basye's Purple Rose seem to have similar pigmentation throughout stems, leaves, etc. I was wondering if anyone might have any insights as to whether one form of Rugosa Rubra seedling might have more to offer than another, and if this seemed a legitimate litmus test.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]