Looking for others experience (R. Foetida)

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Plazbo

Looking for others experience (R. Foetida)

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:14 pm

When looking at pictures of R.Foetida they are always a deep yellow, even full bush pictures show a consistent deep yellow with all blooms. Is this just a case of Foetida having short lived blooms or do they just not fade? Comparing to many modern "no fade yellows" where blooms clearly fade as the bloom ages and theres an obvious difference between day 1 and day 2, I suspect Foetida blooms shatter in a day but havent come across anything definitive.

Also, on a slight tangent. Foetida is said to experience blackspot in many climates, many of its first gen offspring do too. R.Harisonii seems to be healthy though? Is it typical of Spins to be super healthy?

RBaxter

Re: Looking for others experience (R. Foetida)

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:33 am

Plazbo,

Although I've never had either, here's an idea for you - R. banksiae x R. foetida

I've read on these pages that the white R. banksiae is white (not yellow), and has the strong violet fragrance, due to enzymes that produce fragrance from the yellow pigment molecules.

R. foetida is yellow and has a strong fragrance. So if the R. banksiae genes produce the enzymes that convert the yellow of the R. foetida into fragrance, who knows, you might get a rose that you could smell from ten feet away. I'm not sure exactly what it would smell like, but based on the fragrant and blackspot prone offspring of R. foetida I would wager it would be very nice.

Baxter
Katy TX Zone 9A

philip_la

Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:07 am

My hunch, Baxter, is that it might be very prone to fungal issues. Banksia seedlings are notoriously susceptible to mildew in their youth, as I understand it, and foetida is often credited with conveying a weakness to BS. Nonetheless, while it would probably be a frustrating cross to get to take, I would certainly like to see what might come of that. It would presumably be a once-bloomer, but in its maturity, might be rather healthy and showy. (I would attempt with the lutescens sub-species of banksia.)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

roseseek

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:24 am

Here in the "land of endless summer", Foetida didn't seem to have a higher propensity for black spot than most other roses. Its foliage is a shorter season's worth, so if it remains on the plant past its juvenility, it can spot, but otherwise, it remained clean. I've grown many other roses whose foliage spotted significantly worse and earlier in the year. Its flowers are sufficiently fleeting, they didn't appear to fade. Unfortunately for us, in this intensity and duration of sun, that color intensity just doesn't last without fading in longer lasting petals.

Good luck with trying to use Banksiae as a seed parent. I've made countless pollinations on Lutescens and had a number result in hips with seeds, and no germinations. I've raised Lutescens selfs, but nothing using foreign pollen. There are seedlings germinating now using its pollen on other modern roses and minis. We'll see how many turn out to be actual crosses. Banksiae seedlings do start life as quite mildew prone and can take a season or two to mature past it, if the mildew doesn't do them in before that.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Plazbo

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:36 am

roseseek wrote:Its flowers are sufficiently fleeting, they didn't appear to fade. Unfortunately for us, in this intensity and duration of sun, that color intensity just doesn't last without fading in longer lasting petals.
As i suspected, thank you for confirming.

roseseek

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:00 am

You're welcome.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence