Seedling, is it a sport?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Plazbo

Seedling, is it a sport?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 am

I've not (knowingly) witnessed a sporting event so I'm left wondering if this may be a sport or if this is possibly just something that can happen with seedlings (because weird things often happen) that I've just not encountered before.

The stem in the middle (growing from the base of an earlier stem) is more red and has obvious red thorns that are bigger compared to the sparsely thorn (near thornless at the tops) green earlier stems.

Also as you can see the original two stems have foilage that is inconsistently coloured, just new oddities on basically every leaflet. While the latest is a consistent colour, far bluer and just generally healthier looking.

Possible sport or some sort of gene incompatibility that's sorted itself out or maturity? I don't know what to think of it.

Thank you

Karl K

Re: Seedling, is it a sport?

Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:16 am

My guess is that your plant is enjoying its maturity.

I once had a seedling that was about a year old when it abruptly put up a new cane with substantially larger leaves and more vigor.

On the other hand, some specimens can't quite decide whether to be prickly or smooth. 'Baby Faurax' is an old variety, but remains unstable as to its prickles.
This picture shows both a smooth cane and a prickly one growing from the same stump.
And this shows a prickly branch growing from a smooth one.
Karl

roseseek

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Reine des Violettes is another "thornless" rose which can occasionally throw a very prickled, bristly cane or canes. I would also think your seedling is simply sufficiently mature that it is expressing what it wants to be.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:07 pm

My hunch is that Karl, alas, is right. Not as interesting or exciting, but most explanations aren't. I have a rose that I finally got into some very well-amended ground that shot up some growth so different from the original, I was furious to think my own-root plant was actually grafted. This reminds me of that genre of overly enthusiastic growth which I assumed to be a sport, but which was merely the happy-plant-dance. Did you amend the soil, fertilize and water, repot, or otherwise do anything which, in addition to maturity, might make your plant happier?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

roseseek

Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:24 pm

I had Comtesse du Cayla trapped in a five gallon can for years. It never put out anything more than spindly wood. I put it in the ground and with a couple of rains and a few heavy waterings, it threw a nearly five foot, almost inch thick cane straight up in the air, then branched and began flowering. Good top growth doesn't happen until there are the type and quantity of roots under it. Soil type, amount of root room, quantity and quality of water alone, can make tremendous differences. Maturity of that seedling is very likely the main variable responsible.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Plazbo

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:54 am

philip_la wrote: Did you amend the soil, fertilize and water, repot, or otherwise do anything which, in addition to maturity, might make your plant happier?
Yes, around a month to 6 weeks ago it moved up from a (6cm /~2.5inch) forestry tube, the previous two canes were half the size at the time. I just haven't seen this happen before, things usually just get bigger and thicker not change colour and change prickle type, but I am still below 1000 seedlings at this point so I'm sure there's more weird things to turn up in the future. Will be interesting to see if the bloom is different from the previous few it's already produced.