Rose program at the U.S. National Arboretum

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Jill Lee

Rose program at the U.S. National Arboretum

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Rose Rosette Disease-an Update
March 25, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
U.S. National Arboretum Auditorium

Have you stopped growing roses because you worry about using pesticides? Would you like recommendations for roses that will thrive without heavy chemical use? Dr. Mark Windham, a leading expert on Rose Rosette Disease, will discuss his research findings and give rose lovers a chance to have their
favorite flower make a stunning second debut in their garden. Rose Rosette Disease (RRD) has been identified as one of biggest threats to roses, so this is a can’t miss talk for any grower. This talk is cosponsored by the American Rose Society. Fee: $12 (FONA $10) Registration Required. See the U.S. National Arboretum Events calendar for details

henry kuska

Re: Rose program at the U.S. National Arboretum

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Considering how important this knowledge is, I am disappointed that the ARS did not pick up the total cost.
Next, if that was not possible, why not at least give the members of the ARS a discount (they do give the Friends of the National Arboretum (FONA) a discount)?

david zlesak

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Windham speak a few times this past year on his RRD research. Most recently I heard him speak at the Tenarky District Rose Society meeting in Bowling Green, KY. I especially enjoyed learning about what a grad student of his and him are working on in regard to trying to understand why RRD is very rare South of a particular line in the deep South. He is a great speaker and has a lot of practical information to share. I hope a lot of people are able to take advantage of this great opportunity. That is wonderful that the National Arboretum and the Potomac Rose Society are cohosting this event and making the platform possible for Dr. Windham to present. That is nice that the Potomac Rose Society is covering the admission for their members.
Attachments
RRD event 3 25 2018 Mark Windham.JPG

henry kuska

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 am

Update on the talk:
"I have been introduced to RRD, and shown a plant with the disease, but for some reason I did not take it too seriously; it was bad, but controllable I thought. Needles to say, I was shocked with the information from Dr. Windham. If I am not mistaken, someone has lost 4000 rose plants. Now that was a lot of plants----so, what can we do?"
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
"Dr. Windham told us what he does when he has acquire new rose plants.
He plants them in containers and place them in a separate area, far from his other roses. After a year or two, if the roses are still healthy and he likes them, then he gives them their permanent places with the other roses. "
https://garden.org/thread/view/79234/Ro ... r-RRD-RRV/