polyploidization. with potatoes

A meeting place for rose breeders.

david zlesak

Re: polyploidization. with potatoes

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Henry!!

This is a wonderful procedure!! Thank you for sharing it!! I love it. I've doubled some lilacs and another species in the past with a similar method in culture, but I love the liquid overlay and the axillary buds just above the media to be exposed in the liquid containing the chemical. It seems great to not expose the rest of the stem material below or above the bud to the toxin and not overly stress it out. I've just put nodes into solid media with trifluralin in it plunging the stem section with axillary buds in the media for good contact. I would leave the leaves above the media. After a few days I would try to grow them on hoping for doubling. Success was low, but possible. I think I left the tissue in the solid medium with trifluralin too long and that led to the low rate of buds sprouting.

For my MS I doubled Solanum pinnatisectum too. I just took leaf material and regenerated adventitious shoots without using a polyploidization agent. About 40% of the shoots were polyploid and that was comparable to what others have reported. It seems like in some species that in the final cell divisions for "dead end" tissue, like leaves that are not meant for generating new stems, there can routinely be mixes of cells with some at higher ploidy. Perhaps cells duplicated their chromatin, but somehow haven't followed through with the final steps of cell division. When we develop shoots from such internal leaf tissue, polyploid shoots are common and the idea has been proposed these shoots originated from polyploid cells to begin with. I found there is much less stress to the tissue than with using these chemicals and there is less stunting and quicker growth of the polyploid shoots. I wonder how commonplace this phenomenon is with other species. Too bad roses are more challenging to grow in tissue culture and regenerate shoots from leaves. I should try again with roses using some of the newer shoot regeneration protocols.

Karl K

Re: polyploidization. with potatoes

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 pm

david zlesak wrote:Too bad roses are more challenging to grow in tissue culture and regenerate shoots from leaves.
I have no experience with tissue cultures. But I did happen across this item recently.

Euphytica 37: 31-36 (1988)
The induction in vitro of adventitious shoots in Rosa
Davina Lloyd, Andrew V. Roberts and Keith C. Short
Two species, R. laevigata and R. wichuraiana, did not produce adventitious shoots from either callus or roots, but did so from detached leaves. 
http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Roses/breeding/ ... s1988.html