2017 Seed Exchange

A meeting place for rose breeders.

2017 Seed Exchange

Postby Jwindha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm

If you have any seeds you'd like to share or trade, use this thread to list them!

Please contact the person offering seed via private message to keep the thread from getting cluttered.
Last edited by Jwindha on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jwindha

Re: 2017 Seed Exchange

Postby Jwindha » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:24 pm

I have to offer:

R. roxburghii normalis
R. multiflora (found,thornless)
R. palustris

All open-pollinated, U.S. only please

-Jonathan
Jwindha

Postby chuckp » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi Jonathan,
A seed exchange is an excellent idea. But why USA only? I've received and sent seeds over the Canadian/USA border
with no problems.
chuckp
chuckp

Postby Jwindha » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:37 am

Hi Chuck! That's my personal need at the moment, nothing against any non-USA residents! Anyone else is free to offer seeds to anyone anywhere.
Jwindha

Postby Don » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am

>> I've received and sent seeds over the Canadian/USA border with no problems.

For which you no doubt had a permit to import small batches of seeds as outlined in paragraph d. of the federal nursery stock quarantine regulation 7CFR319.37-3, viz:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... 19_137_62a

"(d) Small lots of seed. Lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate required by paragraph (a) of this section under the following conditions:

(1) The importation of the seed is authorized by a written permit issued in accordance with §319.37-3.

(2) The seed is not of any prohibited genera listed in §319.37-2; is not listed as not authorized pending pest risk analysis, as provided in §319.37-2a; is not of any noxious weed species listed in part 360 of this chapter; does not require an additional declaration on a phytosanitary certificate in accordance with §319.37-5; does not require treatment in accordance with §319.37-6; is not restricted under the regulations in parts 330 and 340 of this chapter; and meets the requirements of part 361 of this chapter.

(3) The seed meets the following packaging and shipping requirements:

(i) Each seed packet is clearly labeled with the name of the collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species, level;

(ii) There are a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species, cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon per packet;

(iii) There are a maximum of 50 seed packets per shipment;

(iv) The seeds are free from pesticides;

(v) The seeds are securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage;

(vi) The shipment is free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, mites; and

(vii) At the time of importation, the shipment is sent to either the Plant Germplasm Quarantine Center in Beltsville, MD, or a port of entry listed in §319.37-14(b) and designated by an asterisk."
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
Don

Postby jriekstins » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:38 am

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... 19_137_62a--isn't this referring to importation into the USA from outside the USA, and not from the USA into Canada? Which I believe Chuck P was referring to. I have sent seeds cross border without any questions and other than the usual filling out the declaration have not noticed any problems. At least so far. The postal clerks have not questioned it either, to date.
]Jackie, SoCal., zone 9b,coastal foothills
jriekstins

Postby Don » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:31 am

Well Chuck wrote he sent and received seeds from Canada.

Either way you need a permit. For Canada see

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/seed ... 41389113#c

There is no cost for either the US or Canada to be compliant although it can be a PIA to get your ID verified so you can get an online account for the USDA which you need to apply for a permit.
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
Don

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum