Seedlings 2017

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Seedlings 2017

Postby sunnyvalley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:20 pm

I would like to show my seedlings from this year. This is only my fourth season of seedlings so I still find it difficult to judge the merits of a seedling and would probably keep a whole lot more if space allowed. After the final cull for the season the tally is 15 seedlings in the trial beds and one still potted.

Any feedback on the merits, positive and negative, will be greatly appreciated.

Black Baccara X Little Artist was an extremely good cross. Black Baccara produced huge hips with tons of seeds with extremely good germination.
I only kept the middle seedling in this photo but it show just how varied the results were.
DSCF6808_Labelled.jpg

Here are the first two of the five seedling that I kept from this cross:
DSCF6381.JPG

DSCF9732.JPG
sunnyvalley

Re: Seedlings 2017

Postby sunnyvalley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm

And here the next three (because I seem to be limited to three attachments per post?)
DSCF0733.JPG

DSC_1036.JPG

DSC_0219.JPG
sunnyvalley

Postby mwesson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:37 pm

I really like the bicolor!

Mark
mwesson

Postby Rob Byrnes » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am

Very nice seedlings with great colors.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River
Rob Byrnes

Postby philip_la » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:26 am

Very nice. I don't know if one can give much feedback from photos -- relative garden performance, fragrance, vigor, etc., are things that a photo cannot convey, but they are quite nice from my perspective.

I think I once read a breeder's assertion that one cannot objectively evaluate a seedling until they have grown at least a thousand of their own seedlings. Up to that point, many of them could be the face that only a mother/father could love. I don't know if those with more seedlings under their belts would concur or not.

Might make for an interesting discussion on "objectively evaluating your seedlings..."
(I learned a Latin expression from an over-educated acquaintance, "De gustibus non est disputandum" or something like that, meaning "In matters of taste, there can be no discussion" -- everyone looks for different attributes to determine relative merits.)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby Rose provence » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am

Hello Sunnyvalley,
Thank you for allowing us to enter your space of creation. My seedlings also give a very important diversity. The evolution of their forms, their number of petals is impressive, and offered every year a new astonishment. With the BeeMyRose software, I created a photo album to have the history of the evolution of the same plan and to be able to compare it with "his fraternity" but also over the years until the " stabilization "of the flower occurs.
Congratulations for your creations. I like the RosePicture2 very dark coiled petals and the Rosepicture3 heart red then dark edges. For my ones roses, I have many criteria and I can bentchmark them between roses (like sustainability, perfum…).
Rose provence

Postby sunnyvalley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Mark, Rob, 'Rose Provence' - thanks

Philip - thank you as well. Now that you mention it, it was rather naïve of me to expect any feedback based only on the photos. For now, I am very happy just knowing that there are some other people who think they are quite nice. Next year, if they survive the winter and have spent a season in the ground, I will be able to give a more accurate description on their performance. I am still on my way to a thousand seedlings so I suppose I am maybe still not objective enough although I did cull about 80 seedlings this year. And I think your suggestion of a discussion on evaluating seedlings would indeed be very interesting, particularly to a novice like myself.

Here a three more seedlings that I kept from the cross Arthur Bell X Little Artist. The germination was not spectacular and all the seedlings were miniatures.
DSCF0015.JPG
DSCF9133.JPG

My personal favourite from this cross is this one and I am hoping the petal count doesn't increase.
DSC_0767.JPG
sunnyvalley

Postby sunnyvalley » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Black Baccara X Rhapsody in Blue - 2 hips, 17 seeds and only two germinations one of which I have kept to observe
DSC_0625.JPG
sunnyvalley

Postby sunnyvalley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 am

Continuing...
Last year I did a couple of crosses using the pollen of Huddersfield Choral Society - Rawlins 2011. Dare I say that I think HCS is a new and improved Blue for You? I grow both - in comparison to BFY, HCS is fuller, has a more pronounced reverse, hardly fades and has a strong fragrance which it passed on to all the seedling to some degree.
Huddersfield Choral Society.JPG

This is Arthur Bell X Huddersfield Choral Society - very fragrant
DSC_1031.JPG

Indian Summer X Huddersfield Choral Society - very fragrant
DSCF7267.JPG
sunnyvalley

Postby sunnyvalley » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:58 am

Here is another seedling from the cross
Indian Summer X Huddersfield Choral Society - also very fragrant
DSC_0081.JPG
sunnyvalley