Arkansana Hybrid Seeds Available

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Arkansana Hybrid Seeds Available

Postby mwesson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm

I have some arkansana hybrid seeds available if anyone wants to try them. These are OP seeds from (Suntan Beauty X Abraham Darby) X R. arkansana. This rose shares its arkansana parent's reluctance to accept foreign pollen, so these are probably self-pollinated. I collected a number of OP seeds last year and didn't get any germinations most of the season this year, but I've had a burst of germination in late summer, so expect delayed germination. The OP seedlings are too young to say much about them yet. The arkansana parent was a clone shared by Larry Davis several years ago. Most of the arkansana hybrids I've had to date are very ungainly growers, but this one has the nicest shrub shape I've seen from arkansana so far. Flowers are pink and both flowers and foliage are on the small side.

Send me an IM with your address if you're interested.

Mark
mwesson

Re: Arkansana Hybrid Seeds Available

Postby Rob Byrnes » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:16 pm

Mark,

Does the parent plant of this cross have single blooms or are there more petals? Thank you.

Rob
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River
Rob Byrnes

Re: Arkansana Hybrid Seeds Available

Postby mwesson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Rob,

If not single it's very nearly so. As best I remember it normally has 6-7 petals, but I don't have any pictures to check for sure. I'll try to remember to check next spring. Good luck with them!

Mark
mwesson

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum