'Canadian Shield' rose

A meeting place for rose breeders.

'Canadian Shield' rose

Postby Paul Olsen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Today, it being Canada's 150th birthday, I thought it would be appropriate to comment a little bit about ''Canadian Shield' (RSM Y8 x 'Frontenac'), which was introduced by the Vineland Research and Innovation Centre this year to honour the country's sesquicentennial.

I have one shrub of this rose cultivar that is growing well in my garden. The compact shrub has very attractive foliage and double, long lasting, cherry-red, 7.5 cm. diameter flowers, having no fragrance I can detect. It's very beautiful. If it has good crown cold hardiness for a Zone 3 climate and continues to be disease resistant, 'Canadian Shield' will be the best red rose ever developed for this climate.

According to Dr. Parminder Sandhu, the Vineland rose breeder, this rose cultivar isn't very receptive to foreign pollen. I noted the first flowers of my shrub had very few pistils and stamens, but later flowers seem normal regarding the production of pistils.

I'm trying several staminate parents with it, including 'Suzanne', 'Caroyal' and 'John Davis' to see if this rose will set hips. I think I will also try 'Morden Centennial' to see if I can size up the flowers, yet retain a good red or at least a deep pink colour in some of its progeny.

My immediate thought with this rose is its potential to develop bi-colours, using 'Bill Reid' as the staminate parent. I should be able to make this cross in a week or so.

Happy Birthday Canada!
Paul Olsen

Re: 'Canadian Shield' rose

Postby Roselynn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Happy Canada Day! Amazing to hear Canada is 150 years young.

I agree it's a beautiful rose. I find it to be a very bright red. I've added some more photos of it at http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.73371.2
Roselynn W.
USDA Zone 3b; north of city of Calgary; Alberta, Canada
Prairies, Chinook winds, 3500 feet altitude
Roselynn

Location: USDA Zone 3b; north of city of Calgary; Alberta, Canada

Postby hoy127 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:04 am

I have one plant, purchased this past winter, of this cultivar growing in my zone 8b garden . So far absolutely black spot free. Will follow up on my success with it.
Stephen
hoy127

Postby Rob Byrnes » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am

This one is spot free and mildew free for me so far. Using it as a seed parent this first season.
Rob Byrnes

Historic Village of Roebling, NJ Zone 7a
On the right bank of the Delaware River
Rob Byrnes

Postby dgermeys » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm

Is this rose available in Europe as well? Would love to have one! Visted Canada last year, made some great friends overthere!
Dane from Belgium
dgermeys

Postby Paul Olsen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:57 am

Meilland International (France) is the agent and distributor of the Vineland roses for Europe. I imagine 'Canadian Shield' will be soon available in European countries.
Paul Olsen

Postby Paul Olsen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

I did about 30 crosses with 'Canadian Shield', further using 'Morden Centennial' and 'Bill Reid' as staminate parents. I only got one hip to set, but didn't record its other parent (I rarely label rose crosses, figuring out the parentage when I see selections flowering). Next year I'll use mixed pollen to see if I can have better success.

This is the most infertile shrub rose cultivar I've encountered as a pistillate parent. I wonder why. Is it a triploid?
Paul Olsen

Postby jbergeson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 pm

It's a little early to tell, but hips seem to be forming on Canadian Shield for me. Maybe about six or eight. They are not large. We'll have to see about the seed count.
jbergeson

Postby Rob Byrnes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 am

Had no luck using CS as a parent either way. I hope it has some fertility and that I'll get hips next season. I have to say that it has excellent disease resistance so far.
Rob Byrnes

Rob Byrnes

Postby jbergeson » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am

I checked and counted seventeen set, pollinated hips on two potted plants of Canadian Shield. Many of the unpollinated blossoms in the same clusters have failed.
jbergeson

Postby Rob Byrnes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Well that's good news. Thanks Joe!
Rob Byrnes

Rob Byrnes

Postby Don » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:53 am

Does anyone know if and from whom Canadian Shield is available in the USA?
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.
Don

Postby jbergeson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:38 pm

I'll have some, Don.
jbergeson

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum