NewFlora site down for over a month

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

NewFlora site down for over a month

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:03 pm

I was wondering what gives...
I do turn to their site for additional reviews on roses. They do test and offer some Kordes roses that didn't make the cut initially in Germany. (Lemon Fizz comes to mind.) I was wanting to see what the self-reporting on South Africa said, as that one is not available in Europe, best I can tell...
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

Peter Harris

Re: NewFlora site down for over a month

Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Philip, on March 31, NewFlora was acquired by Ball Horticultural--which also owns Conard-Pyle/Star Roses and Plants.

Peter

philip_la

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks, Peter. Ball/Star doesn't have the Newflora info up on their site yet. I wonder if they will include the four star rating system of Kordes Roses for the assorted characteristics, as Newflora did. I rather doubt it... I'm a little bothered that they didn't put a place marker at the old NewFlora site, and somehow mirror some of the info from that site on their own site for a spell. Seems like bad business if they care at all for the stock and reputation of the Kordes line they acquired the rights to.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

philip_la

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:28 am

Well, a new site is up: www.kordes.us.

I'm not thrilled. It's pretty enough, but doesn't contain the information that was included in Newflora's site pertaining to their candid in-house evaluations of relative fragrance, petal count, hardiness, and disease-resistance to BS and Mildew (after the form of European Kordes' site). I find the loss of that information frustrating since the U.S. introduces a number of cultivars not listed on the European site (and vice versa, of course). It probably facilitates marketing in not being quite so candid, but from my perspective, these are things I would like to know...
Philip F.

Don

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Anybody have any idea who is running the 'in-house' breeding program at Star now that they have been subsumed by Ball, along with Newflora? I know they shed Novaflora or, at least, Dobres who was their genetic engineer - speaking of whom does anyone know if anything commercial ever came out of that effort?

https://www.starrosesandplants.com/abou ... ybridizers

https://www.inknowvation.com/sbir/story ... plants-not
What doesn't kill them makes them stronger.

Peter Harris

Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Don,

The only 2 roses I know of from NovaFlora are

1. [b]Popcorn Drift[/b], a radiation-induced sport of Peach Drift.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.67517.0

In the Monaco Rose Trials, it won the Silver Medal -- Groundcover (June 4, 2016)

2. [b]Bubble Double[/b], a radiation-induced sport of Pink Double Knock Out
This one is credited to Will Radler but it seems the work was done at NovaFlora.
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.63992

Peter