NewFlora site down for over a month

A meeting place for rose breeders.

NewFlora site down for over a month

Postby philip_la » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:03 pm

I was wondering what gives...
I do turn to their site for additional reviews on roses. They do test and offer some Kordes roses that didn't make the cut initially in Germany. (Lemon Fizz comes to mind.) I was wanting to see what the self-reporting on South Africa said, as that one is not available in Europe, best I can tell...
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Re: NewFlora site down for over a month

Postby Peter Harris » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Philip, on March 31, NewFlora was acquired by Ball Horticultural--which also owns Conard-Pyle/Star Roses and Plants.

Peter
Peter Harris

Postby philip_la » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks, Peter. Ball/Star doesn't have the Newflora info up on their site yet. I wonder if they will include the four star rating system of Kordes Roses for the assorted characteristics, as Newflora did. I rather doubt it... I'm a little bothered that they didn't put a place marker at the old NewFlora site, and somehow mirror some of the info from that site on their own site for a spell. Seems like bad business if they care at all for the stock and reputation of the Kordes line they acquired the rights to.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby philip_la » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:28 am

Well, a new site is up: www.kordes.us.

I'm not thrilled. It's pretty enough, but doesn't contain the information that was included in Newflora's site pertaining to their candid in-house evaluations of relative fragrance, petal count, hardiness, and disease-resistance to BS and Mildew (after the form of European Kordes' site). I find the loss of that information frustrating since the U.S. introduces a number of cultivars not listed on the European site (and vice versa, of course). It probably facilitates marketing in not being quite so candid, but from my perspective, these are things I would like to know...
Philip F.
philip_la

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum