Oddities for the season

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Oddities for the season

Postby david zlesak » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

This spring there are some interesting characteristics popping up. These things have to some degree popped up before. There are some green roses popping up here and there. There is one blooming today with green veins with a white background. There is another one that bloomed that was kind of even green. That more even green one was out of 'Gaye Hammond'. Sometimes there are some polyanthas that have petals that roll up lengthwise. This one open today has extra long petals and it looks more pronounced. Sometimes there are seedlings that are abnormal that have simple leaves versus compound leaves (leaf divided into leaflets), but they often are weak and don't bloom. There is one this year that is consistently producing simple leaves and it seems like it will bloom. What unusual seedlings are others finding?
Attachments
IMG_8687.JPG
Quilled polyantha
IMG_8696.JPG
Green veined white rose
IMG_8691.JPG
Simple versus compound leaves
david zlesak

Re: Oddities for the season

Postby jbergeson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for these pics, David!
jbergeson

Postby doug wild » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks David...abnormalities can stir the imagination.

In the attached photo is a seedling from this winter's work...[b]fused embryos[/b]...would you think this as being more morphological or genetic in nature...or something else? This is a Kathleen seedling and bloomed normally...actually the side by side effect of flowering was positive to my eye.

[attachment=0]K fused ovaries.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
K fused ovaries.JPG
Fused ovaries
doug wild

Postby philip_la » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 pm

David, I have never seen anything so heavily quilled. Reminds me of something in the Magnolidaea. Illicium, perhaps?
If that is a trait that is stable and can be inherited, I see some real aesthetic merit in developing that line, personally.

Never seen simple leaves in a modern cross either... If I am correct in recalling that the species Hulthemia has simple leaves, that might be an interesting thing to play with in that line, just for the sake of creating a modern Hulthemia with more hulthemia-like traits.

Fun stuff.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby jriekstins » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm

The simple leaflet is very attractive and at the same time so unroselike. The leaf looks huge, or is it next to some really small ones? Post the bloom pic if and when it blooms. My only somewhat unusual-but one that crops up from time to time is a PrairiePeace seedling that suffers from proliferation of the reproductive parts. The flower is attractive, very double, bright non-fading yellow and slow to open. Is proliferation heritable as a trait? I was hoping that it was weather related last year but it is back under totally different conditions.
]Jackie, SoCal., zone 9b,coastal foothills
jriekstins

Postby philip_la » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 am

On the subject of oddities, Jim, is this tiny little micro mini still kickin'? I was thinking about, for intance, NYBG's miniature Christmas town display, and imagining it in a front "yard" of that display...
http://sproulroses.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... hemia.html
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby jbergeson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 am

The simple leaves...very interesting. Are you sure you didn't accidentally drop an apple seed in the bag? :) It would be fun to see how that plant develops...if it develops compound leaves as it ages or not.

And the quilled blossoms...could you breed a higher petal count while preserving that characteristic?
jbergeson

Postby Judith Singer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 am

Oo, the green veins! Interesting potential!
Judith Singer

Postby jturner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I've had a lot of seedlings this year that appeared to germinate normally, but that never produced a true leaf. Nearly all of them have Fabulous! as a parent. It appears that the apical meristem failed to develop. It would be interesting to know why. Perhaps a mutation in Fabulous!?
Jim / Monterey Bay, California / USDA zone 9b / Sunset zone 17
jturner

Postby jriekstins » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Jim,

Interestingly, a number of yrs ago I used Barbra Streisand in a few crosses (loved the fragrance) and had quite a number of seedlings that failed to produce a leaf even though the cotledon/leaf structure continued to thrive until I dumped them--way past any time line for leaves to appear. They do share some of the same ColorWonder/fragrant cloud genetics. Somewhere or with the right/wrong genetic recombining perhaps there resides a fatal flaw.
jriekstins

Postby jturner » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 am

jriekstins wrote:Jim,

Interestingly, a number of yrs ago I used Barbra Streisand in a few crosses (loved the fragrance) and had quite a number of seedlings that failed to produce a leaf even though the cotledon/leaf structure continued to thrive until I dumped them--way past any time line for leaves to appear. They do share some of the same ColorWonder/fragrant cloud genetics. Somewhere or with the right/wrong genetic recombining perhaps there resides a fatal flaw.

That is very interesting. Does anyone know whether any of the other roses in this lineage (Sexy Rexy, Dreaming, Colour Wonder, etc.) produce a large percentage of seedlings that never produce true leaves?
Jim / Monterey Bay, California / USDA zone 9b / Sunset zone 17
jturner

Postby Rosesbydesign » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 am

Hi Paul, that micro lasted about 2 years, but since the blotch was very faint, I didn't try to breed with it and ultimately discarded it. I still enjoy the smaller minis - too bad that not many people do.
Rosesbydesign

Postby philip_la » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Well, Jim, it couldn't have been taking up *that* much room. ;-)
Philip F.
philip_la

Postby jriekstins » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:36 pm

Jim,

Your post reminded me to check on a few scattered seedlings that are seemingly not developing leaves and sure enough I found 6 (there might have been a few more but they were already discarded, so could not include them) all from a same cross, but very different than the one a few yrs ago. This one was (Rosa foliolosa x Henry Hudson) X (Rt.66 x Basyes Legacy)OP, and the OP might be Rt 66 x Singing in the Rain. Now that I am thinking on this, if the Op is SITR, then they are related. But that is very much an IF.
jriekstins

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum