Kordes' Firebird

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Kordes' Firebird

Postby philip_la » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm

I don't know if NewFlora is actually introducing this one to market stateside, but I am intrigued to see a mutable rose with this level of saturation that earns Kordes' highest rating for BS resistance.
I'm curious as to other folks' reaction to the somewhat shocking colors...
http://newflora.com/product/firebird-citiscape-rose/
http://www.kordes-rosen.com/gardenrose-firebird
(If the colors were to get diluted a tad in any future crosses, it wouldn't hurt much, IMO.)
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Re: Kordes' Firebird

Postby roseseek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:14 pm

It reminds me of Chihuly without the stripes. Also like the old Judy Garland, Pinata, Joseph's Coat and Rio Samba. They sell, but just aren't for me.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence
roseseek

Postby philip_la » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:28 am

I agree that it's a bit over the top. But the health rating is pretty ridiculous for a rose with that coloring, no? Those other roses might compare, but all are, from what I understand, pretty BS-prone.
(Of course, that kind of coloring, health *and* fragrance isn't happening...)
What I'm wondering is, as breeding stock, would a rose such as this have a lot of merit potentially?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby jbergeson » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Over the top is fine with me - I think it is gorgeous!
jbergeson

Postby philip_la » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:30 am

"...fragrance nor cold-hardiness", I should have said. ;-) Alas, I doubt it would like a winter where you are. But even if some of its traits get a little... ah... diluted in future progeny, it might be a fun parent for you to cross with something uber-hardy. I quite truthfully vacillate between loving and hating the plant from what I see online. I would have to see how well it pulls off"the look" in real life to really know if it's a plant I could live with, or a gaudy novelty to admire from afar with little more than a, "Gee, that's something..." comment. But one of my main beef with some of the roses Kim mentioned is, I think, health and garden performance. I have tried Rio Samba and Pinata on a couple occasions, and have been underwhelmed each time. They never made it to year two.
Philip F.
philip_la

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum