Crazy winter weather!

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Crazy winter weather!

Postby hoy127 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Here in central GA my plant of Oso Happy Smoothie, growing in a large container, has several blooms today - CRAZY! R. banksiae normalis and R. fortuniana are about to burst into bloom. Magnolia soulangiana, Magnolia stellata and flo. quince is already in bloom down the street. Osmanthus fragrans is perfuming my whole front yard. Did a month slip by me unnoticed?
hoy127

Re: Crazy winter weather!

Postby roseseek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Yup! But, don't worry. They'll all be nipped by the other month that slipped by you, bringing another freeze...or four!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence
roseseek

Postby Karl K » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am

Here in the foothills of the Smoky mountains, Spring comes and goes. I saw two daffodil blooms yesterday, below a forsythia with an open bloom or three. Flowering quinces are in bud, but no blooms as of yesterday. I haven't been out today because it's too cold.

'Plaisanterie' has shoots emerging from almost every node on every cane. So far they have stood up to frost, snow and sub-freezing temps. I like it very much, but planted it in a very wrong spot. It wants to crawl along across the sidewalk no matter how I try to encourage it upwards.
Karl
Karl K

Postby JohnJel » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:59 pm

I’m glad to hear the reports about early spring blooms in Georgia. I’m sitting in my rain-sodden house in Gladstone, Oregon. It hasn’t been extremely cold this year, but we did have about 10” of snow in January. The Daphne Odorata, Grape Hyacinth and Forsythia aren’t blooming yet. I wonder how the test gardens in Shreveport, Louisiana are doing with all those tornadoes tearing through.

I’m thinking about the gardens in the Central California Coast like Kim’s and the San Simeon Estate Garden that rarely get frost but probably have mildew. The Huntington Library Rose Garden and large cactus garden are probably blooming now. Is there anything left of the Jewel Stein Estate in Beverly Hills?

I’m looking forward to some of my 2-year old crosses having a good show of blooms. I have a new yellow rose with some cresting I’ll be waiting for right away. I have an odd tall rose called H11-15, a cross of Reach for the Skies (17A-03 CL X Darlow’s Enigma) that I want to plant. I have about 100 seeds planted from last year’s crosses in my Garden Room, but none have sprouted yet.

My wife is doing the pruning this year because I’ve been having chemo treatments and not feeling well, but I’m still here.
[color=#0000BF]John Jelinek, Gladstone, Oregon
Zone 7 Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley[/color]
JohnJel

Location: Zone 7, Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley, Gladstone, OR

Postby roseseek » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 am

Hi John, good to hear from you! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Please remember your "fan club" is pulling for you! Kim
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
roseseek

Postby david mears » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 am

John, may I add my support, you will beat this terrible thing.
[color=#FFFF00]david mears
in Mudgee,
in NSW,
in Australia.[/color]
david mears

Postby hoy127 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Let me echo good wishes. I'm a liver transplant survivor - interferon therapy 3 times - for 12 months the last time (with a great outcome!). Growing roses, having good friends, kept me going. All the best!
Stephen
hoy127

Postby philip_la » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

There is nothing quite like the promise of spring to boost one's spirits, and attitude is half the battle. John, my thoughts are with you, and I wish you a spring of improved health filled with enjoying the fruits of your hybridizing work.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby hoy127 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:50 pm

While walking through the garden I noticed my small plant of R. xanthina spontanea in bloom - March 5th! R. banksiae normalis and R. fortuniana are also in bloom. Has anyone tried to put xanthina pollen on either of those?
Stephen
hoy127

Postby roseseek » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:24 pm

No, Fortuniana sets very little pollen for me and refuses to set any kind of hips. Banksiae lutescens will set hips, and I have pollinated it with quite a few different roses, but only two seeds have germinated for me. Both were selfs and both germinated in four months from planting. I do have Golden Angel X Xanthina seedlings coming up, though.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
roseseek

Postby philip_la » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 am

I have certainly often *thought* about banksia lutescens and a yellow pimpernellifolia as a route to a non-foetida yellow, but never had the opportunity to try. Would the pollination work in the reverse, or is xanthina seed sterile? If I'm not mistaken, some of the banksia hybrids out there (e.g. Purezza) came from banksia as the pollen parent.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Postby roseseek » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:54 am

Banksiae pollen works. Lutescens sets seed, but can be difficult to germinate, as stated above. Xanthina seed germinates, but not as reliably as Hugonis has proven for me. Xanthina pollen also appears to work, as evidenced by the seeds germinating from some of the crosses I used it in last year. Whether pimpinellifolia pollen would work with any of them, I don't know. I can't get past the "stem crud" they develop by mid summer in my climate.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
roseseek

Postby philip_la » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:28 am

Is stem crud the official term? ;-) I'm not sure what you mean as I have very little experience with that group. I acquired a presumed Xanthina in NOLA a year or two before Katrina, which I think was actually primula due to the wonderful aroma emanating from its leaves on cool moist days. I lost it at a fairly young age due to neglect during the evacuation, but I did really enjoy the thing.
Philip F.
philip_la

Postby roseseek » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:14 pm

"Stem crud" looks like symptoms of canker, black spot and downy lesions. It apparently doesn't DO anything, it's just unsightly. The foliage begins looking very tired and exhausted (like the native sycamore trees do) very early in the season, which is OK if your season is short and it's the normal progression of things. In the "land of endless summer", garden residents need to look healthy and "right" for the season and the Spins just don't. I love Golden Wings...except for the foliage and stem crud. Damasks tend to do similarly here.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
roseseek

Postby jriekstins » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 pm

I think I have a polyantha with stem crud. Always wanted a name for that. Regarding the topic, is the east coast in for some last minute really crazy weather?
]Jackie, SoCal., zone 9b,coastal foothills
jriekstins

Postby philip_la » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 am

I think my Mr. Nash x Rugelda seedling might suffer mildly. I just thought of it as old-stem syndrome. As I get older myself, I tend to be more forgiving of such things, but now I have a name for it...
I have brain-crud on bad days.
Philip F.
philip_la

Postby chuckp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:24 am

Hi guys, anyone have pics of the "stem crud" mentioned in this tread? I saw some mossy growth on a few
of my roses last year. When I pulled it off, it was only superficial- as far as I can see.
What would be the biological name for this growth?
Chuckp
chuckp

Postby roseseek » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:41 pm

It isn't a "growth", Chuck, but a discoloration. Not like bark forming, but more like a canker or brownish lesions from black spot or something. The stems don't seem to be affected by it, they just look cruddy, old.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
roseseek

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum