Crazy winter weather!

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Crazy winter weather!

Postby hoy127 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Here in central GA my plant of Oso Happy Smoothie, growing in a large container, has several blooms today - CRAZY! R. banksiae normalis and R. fortuniana are about to burst into bloom. Magnolia soulangiana, Magnolia stellata and flo. quince is already in bloom down the street. Osmanthus fragrans is perfuming my whole front yard. Did a month slip by me unnoticed?
hoy127

Re: Crazy winter weather!

Postby roseseek » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Yup! But, don't worry. They'll all be nipped by the other month that slipped by you, bringing another freeze...or four!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence
roseseek

Postby Karl K » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:45 am

Here in the foothills of the Smoky mountains, Spring comes and goes. I saw two daffodil blooms yesterday, below a forsythia with an open bloom or three. Flowering quinces are in bud, but no blooms as of yesterday. I haven't been out today because it's too cold.

'Plaisanterie' has shoots emerging from almost every node on every cane. So far they have stood up to frost, snow and sub-freezing temps. I like it very much, but planted it in a very wrong spot. It wants to crawl along across the sidewalk no matter how I try to encourage it upwards.
Karl
Karl K

Postby JohnJel » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:59 pm

I’m glad to hear the reports about early spring blooms in Georgia. I’m sitting in my rain-sodden house in Gladstone, Oregon. It hasn’t been extremely cold this year, but we did have about 10” of snow in January. The Daphne Odorata, Grape Hyacinth and Forsythia aren’t blooming yet. I wonder how the test gardens in Shreveport, Louisiana are doing with all those tornadoes tearing through.

I’m thinking about the gardens in the Central California Coast like Kim’s and the San Simeon Estate Garden that rarely get frost but probably have mildew. The Huntington Library Rose Garden and large cactus garden are probably blooming now. Is there anything left of the Jewel Stein Estate in Beverly Hills?

I’m looking forward to some of my 2-year old crosses having a good show of blooms. I have a new yellow rose with some cresting I’ll be waiting for right away. I have an odd tall rose called H11-15, a cross of Reach for the Skies (17A-03 CL X Darlow’s Enigma) that I want to plant. I have about 100 seeds planted from last year’s crosses in my Garden Room, but none have sprouted yet.

My wife is doing the pruning this year because I’ve been having chemo treatments and not feeling well, but I’m still here.
[color=#0000BF]John Jelinek, Gladstone, Oregon
Zone 7 Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley[/color]
JohnJel

Location: Zone 7, Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley, Gladstone, OR

Postby roseseek » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 am

Hi John, good to hear from you! I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Please remember your "fan club" is pulling for you! Kim
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence
roseseek

Postby david mears » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:51 am

John, may I add my support, you will beat this terrible thing.
[color=#FFFF00]david mears
in Mudgee,
in NSW,
in Australia.[/color]
david mears

Postby hoy127 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Let me echo good wishes. I'm a liver transplant survivor - interferon therapy 3 times - for 12 months the last time (with a great outcome!). Growing roses, having good friends, kept me going. All the best!
Stephen
hoy127

Postby philip_la » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

There is nothing quite like the promise of spring to boost one's spirits, and attitude is half the battle. John, my thoughts are with you, and I wish you a spring of improved health filled with enjoying the fruits of your hybridizing work.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]
philip_la

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum