Rosa maximowicziana seeds

A meeting place for rose breeders.
david zlesak

Rosa maximowicziana seeds

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:38 am

Would anyone like some op R. maximowicziana seeds? R. max. is in the Synstylae and is the hardiest species in this group that I know. It is climbing like most the other species, produces white flowers (larger than R. wichurana and R. multiflora), and has nice orange hips with sepals that fall off at maturity. I got the plant from Dr. Peter Ascher ~15 years ago. He got it as seed from a Russian botanist friend he was collaborating with that collected and sent it from a botanical garden in or near Siberia. This plant is next to a number of diploid Cinnamomae section species. Last year when I raised some op seeds they almost all looked to be crosses with these other species by having a more upright habit with canes that are stiffer. R. max. has bristly canes, but that is easy to breed out even in the first generation seedlings. Please send me a PM with where you'd like me to send some hips.
Attachments
6 16 08  rosa maximowiziana three.jpg
6 4 2010 Rosa maximowiczianaIMG_7504 (133).jpg

mwesson

Re: Rosa maximowicziana seeds

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:25 pm

[quote="david zlesak This plant is next to a number of diploid Cinnamomae section species. Last year when I raised some op seeds they almost all looked to be crosses with these other species by having a more upright habit with canes that are stiffer. [/quote]

Dr. Z,

Which diploid Cinnamomae section species are you growing in the vicinity?

Mark

david zlesak

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:57 pm

Hi Mark!

I donated a plant of R. max. to a local public garden and these seeds are off of that plant and next to it are roses like R. laxa, R. woodsii, R. blanda, R. nitida, R. amblyotis, R. californica, and R. foliolosa. There may be some more I'm forgetting.

mwesson

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks David. You forgot to mention that R. max hips are full of those little hairs that can be so irritating. I've been itching for days! (:

Mark

david zlesak

Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm sorry!!! Hopefully there'll be some nice seedlings to make it worth it :0).

johannes p

Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:38 pm

Do the flower of the Rosa maximowicziana have the sweet scent like Rosa multiflora?

david zlesak

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:41 pm

Hi Johannes! I wish I remember... I'm sorry.

Paul Olsen

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Johannes,

According to Petrovic Roses located in Serbia, the flowers have no fragrance.

I've worked with this species a bit, and I detected no fragrance. But then I've got a poor sense of smell, so I'm not the best judge for it.

In my opinion, the best potential of this species is to develop interspecific diploid hybrids, which can be used for further breeding of roses cold hardy to Zone 2/3 climates. Perhaps Climbers, since the long, prostrate canes are impressive. I don't think this has ever been done before with this species. I've attempted it with Rosa nitida, but Rosa woodsii and Rosa laxa should also be considered. And let's not forget the Rugosa 'Schneezwerg', which in a breeding program has great ability to extend the flowering season well into the fall.

philip_la

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:00 am

Just came across this thread, David, and was curious as to whether you had information pertaining to this species resistance/susceptibility to RRD. Is it better than multiflora?
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

david zlesak

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:25 am

Hi Philip!!

That is a great question. I don't have any information... We don't have RRD distributed much here thankfully. I don't know who is growing it in more Southern and Eastern areas. Years back I shared rooted cuttings of it with RHA friens. I forgot who I distributed them to, but maybe there is someone in a region with more RRD that has some experience they could share.

philip_la

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 pm

Well I was just thinking if it were, then seedlings of R.m. might make decent pairings with your setigera serena offspring, David, while perhaps avoiding the potential weaknesses of e.g. polyantha mates. Of course hypothesizing is always a lot easier than realizing the intended result.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

jriekstins

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:09 pm

David,
Approx. 3 yrs ago I received a labeled rooted cutting/sucker of a rose along with a couple seedlings and a setigera. The label said Rosa maximowicziana hybrid and this past yr it bloomed clusters of small (1 1/2") very double deep pink roses from which I have several seedlings now (just planted out 2 days ago into individual styr cups). This plant does not have bristly stems but rather very falcate, sickle flesh grabbing thorns from hell, but otherwise fits the description of rosa max.---very long trailing, mounding lax stems but no fuzzy bristles. Could this have been a seedling of rosa max., a chance cross or ??? or a chance seedling? I have wondered about its' ID seeing that it did not have white flowers nor the densely bristled stems. It did seem very fertile and crossed with most anything-will use it again since I should get more flowers this yr--it was on the driveway last yr and the Fed Ex guy ran over it destroying all the hips but two-- it is now moved.
Jackie
]Jackie, SoCal., zone 9b,coastal foothills

david zlesak

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Jackie!!

As I look at my private messages in the website here, the older ones aren't there anymore... Darn. I suspect I listed what was sent like I usually do to look back on. It may be the double pink hybrid with polyantha selection 95-1. It has typical thorns, but much hardier canes for us because of R. max. in it. It produces about 50% repeat bloomers with repeat bloomers. Is this one a one time bloomer?

jriekstins

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:47 pm

This looks like a spring time once bloomer-right now the buds are swelling and it looks like it will put on some serious growth this year. Because of my lack of level space I had it tied up to a stake and then it put out a couple of 6-8+' canes. These canes look like they will produce lots of laterals so will see how much it can bloom this yr. The polyantha cross sounds right. It is super vigorous in this climate.
]Jackie, SoCal., zone 9b,coastal foothills

jpkrvi

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:28 am

This species is about the only truly hardy true climber/rambler here in southern Finland. It is hardier than Polstjarnan. (Or at least my plant coming from RosenPosten, Denmark is.) In my opinion the flowers have a musk-like scent.
I’ve pollinated maxi with various modern hybrid pollens in the past two summers with fairly good seed set but no germinations yet.
Best,
Jukka
Helsinki, Finland
Jukka Kallijarvi
Helsinki
Finland

david zlesak

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:48 am

Thank you Jukka!! That is great to know. How is the health by you? It is average to a bit above average here defoliating some by fall. The leaves on the one I have has a little bit of gloss to them, which is nice. I hope you get some germinations. I love the one time blooming ramblers from it of a polyantha as a mom with it as a dad. Here are some pictures. I have a 4' fence within the mound of plant material for the canes to grow on :0). I am in zone 4 and these hybrids typically are alive to the tip most winters. I've backcrossed them to polyanthas and saved some rebloomers. I think I need to bring in some polys with greater health to keep reinforcing the health.
Attachments
6 25 2011 95-1 Monica x R. maximow. single one with hover flies IMG_1926 (56).jpg
Single pink hybrid
6 23 2011 double flowered R maximowziana  Monica cross IMG_1846 (43).jpg
Double white hybrid
6 25 2011 95-1 Monica x R. maximow. IMG_1926 (50).jpg
one time blooming ramblers from polys x R. maximowicziana

jpkrvi

Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:12 am

David,
It gets some spots on its slightly glossy and pale green leaves, but I’m not quite sure if that’s black spot. It doesn’t defoliate here (about USDA4 with cool and dry summers).
Cuttings root very easily, so I’m trying to spread this rose that is completely unkown here and not available from nurseries propagating own-root roses.
I think this has great potential for breeding hardy ramblers/climbers. One obvious cross I’ve had on mind to increase flower size and reduce thorns is with Therese Bugnet. Have you tried that yet?
Your polyantha crossess are beautiful!
Best,
Jukka
Jukka Kallijarvi
Helsinki
Finland

philip_la

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Just in case R.max. has less susceptibility to RRD, I would be inclined to try something other than R. multiflora descendents, but rather consider recreating the hybrid musk/polyantha classes with R. max. as a substitute for R. multi.. I might look to some of the Buck roses as mates -- Carefree Beauty comes to mind, for instance, as a very healthy plant that thrives from zone 4 down to the Gulf Coast. I believe Prairie Princess is regarded as still hardier, though I don't know anything of her overall performance. If R. max is partial to synstylae mates, then, for similar reasons, I might look to some hybrid setigeras as they are purportedly somewhat resistant.
Perhaps others have experience/knowledge to support or refute those ideas...
Philip F.

david zlesak

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi Jukka!!

That is a great idea!! I love 'Therese Bugnet'. I just moved a little over a year ago and am establishing rose beds and have a 'Therese Bugnet' in a pot right now I haven't gotten in the ground yet that hopefully will mature nicely in the next year or two. I love the poly hybrids with TB and it would be fun to cross it with these rambler hybrids. I hope you are able to make the cross this summer and get some amazing hybrids.

I love your idea Philip to get some hardier hybrids with R. setigera. I haven't tried too hard to try to bridge R. max with non Systylae members yet. There are some op seedlings of R. max with a bunch of Cinnamomeae species that were growing near it and the seedlings look to be hybrids. They haven't bloomed yet.