New Breeder 1st Hybrid

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Anthony Wallis

New Breeder 1st Hybrid

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 am

Hi to everyone my name is Anthony and I am from Australia. This is my 2nd year of hybridising roses the 1st year I had a few germinate and bloom but they all died which I blame on doing my crosses too late and the seedlings being too young for the harsh Australian sun. This year I did my crosses much earlier with a lot more successful germinations. I have had my 1st bloom which I am very happy about it is a cross between Man of Steel and Scentimental and is highly scented
Attachments
IMG_0168a.jpg
IMG_0166a.jpg

JohnJel
Location: Zone 7, Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley, Gladstone, OR

Re: New Breeder 1st Hybrid

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:05 am

Hello Anthony,

Regarding growing new seedlings in the hot Australian sun, years ago I visited Cap Haitien in northern Haiti. At the Baptist farm I saw them growing big tall tomatoes in a small greenhouse that was covered with fiberglass screening. I don’t know if they used a water spray with it. Would that help in hot Australia?

I used Scentimental crossed with Brave Heart, dr S, introduced by John Clements of Heirloom Roses in 1998. It turned out to be a very vigorous and disease resistant tall red and white striped shrub rose that I registered as Raspberry Stripe. Scentimental is a good one for crossing.
[color=#0000BF]John Jelinek, Gladstone, Oregon
Zone 7 Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley[/color]

John Moe

Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Anthony,
Congratulations on a beautiful seedling. Most of us had similar experiences when we first started hybridizing when seeds did not germinate as we had hoped. But you stuck with it and see the results. We too have used Scentimental and had some excellent results. Look forward to seeing more of your "babies" in the future.
John

david mears

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:22 pm

Welcome Anthony, you are in good company here and any help is given freely. As I am in OZ, I have already seen some of Anthony's work on another forum, Well done Anthony. Looking forward to seeing some more.
[color=#FFFF00]david mears
in Mudgee,
in NSW,
in Australia.[/color]

Anthony Wallis

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:15 am

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement :)

Anthony Wallis

Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:20 am

JohnJel I did my crosses much earlier the 2nd year timing germination to occur in early winter as where I live gets no frosts and never drops below 4*C with the thought that they will have more of a chance to harden up a bit before the heat of summer comes