Unusual Petal Shape

A meeting place for rose breeders.
Judith Singer

Unusual Petal Shape

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:10 am

I've never seen this before. This is the first bloom on an OP Night Owl seedling. I would normally not consider this worth posting because it's a first bloom, but another seedling from NO is doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see how this matures.
Attachments
NO_3303.jpg

andre carl

Re: Unusual Petal Shape

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:44 pm

I had a few Night Owl Seedlings do the same thing. I still have one that continues to produce ruffled petals four years later (the others outgrew it) which I'll have to check to see if it does it again this year. Every single seedling that did it was open pollinated which makes me suspect it could be a recessive genetic trait (assuming the OPs were selfs). A very cool effect in my mind.

david zlesak

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Andre!

That's really interesting! This past summer at the rose trials in Lyon, France there was this yellow rose that had similar scalloping.
Attachments
IMG_6856 Trial Rose Lyon 385 with unusual petal form (2).JPG

roseseek

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:13 pm

There is also the Ruffles series, which appear to be descended from Roger Lambelin. I have Mystique and Passion Ruffles and am looking for Ruffle's Dream to bud. Passion Ruffles is the more vigorous plant with better foliage and larger, fuller flowers. Mystique Ruffles is the one everyone wants from the flowers.
mystique ruffles (10).JPG
mystique ruffles (8).JPG
mystique ruffles (6).JPG
A friend sent me these of other Ilsink Ruffles series. Cliff Orent imported several of the earlier ones. Tom Carruth said they chose not to bring them here because the ruffling wasn't consistent enough. Personally, I believe it was because too many have cruddy plants under them like Mystique Ruffles.
10338340_368885403250619_5963565912993044729_n.jpg
Fire Ruffle
Fire Ruffle Ilsink 2004.jpg
Glamorous Ruffle
Glamourous Ruffle Ilsink 2004.jpg
Many First Impression, Blue for You, Eyes for You and Art Nouveau seedling 'ruffle' like that, too.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

Judith Singer

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks, guys. It's a neat effect. Totally love Fire Ruffle!

Andre, how are your Night Owl seedlings regarding disease resistance?

andre carl

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 am

Disease for Night owl and its seedlings are average here - basically they start out nicely with gorgeous colors and break down with black spot later on in the season. I use it because Night Owl is such a great hip setter with excellent germination. The hips are small but fully packed with seeds. I would love to get that petal color on a plant better suited for Iowa.

I am attempting to add cold hardiness and disease resistance to Night Owl with crosses with the better disease resistant Canadian plants here in central Iowa (Frontenac, Cuthbert Grant, Quadra, and Alexander Mackenzie), Some of the stronger Buck varieties (Carefree Beauty, Prairie Princess - Prairie Lass would be used but I lost both plants in my move last year and haven't been able to replace yet), and some of my spinosissima hybrids. I also have a Prairie Lass X Knock Out seedling that is showing great promise in the disease resistance department.

I hope to also use the ruffled seedling in a few crosses this year. It is slightly more pink than Night Owl but has a good amount of purple in it. Kim just convinced me to use Art Neveau on it too. If I could solidify that ruffling/scalloping in future generations, I would be very happy. I wish I could get my hands on a few other ruffled/scalloped varieties just too see how they all perform as breeders.

Kim, those pictures are awesome and I will definitely be on the lookout for them as well. Thanks for sharing them.

roseseek

Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:29 pm

You're welcome, Andre. I have Passion and Mystique Ruffles. Passion is spotless here, Mystique is the polar oposite, but could possibly be better for you. Both will root but I doubt Mystique would be good own root. I budded my plant and it grows, I just can't keep leaves on it. I'm seeing a lot of that odd petal shape, too, from First Impression X Blue for You seedlings. I need to get another First Impression as it got left behind in the move. Fortunately, I have some seedlings using it to play with in the mean time.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15

Karl K

Wed May 18, 2016 9:56 am

Judith Singer wrote:I've never seen this before. This is the first bloom on an OP Night Owl seedling. I would normally not consider this worth posting because it's a first bloom, but another seedling from NO is doing the same thing. It will be interesting to see how this matures.
Judith,
I had some similarly odd early blooms on 'Paul's Scarlet Climber' this year.
Later blooms were entirely normal.
Karl

roseseek

Wed May 18, 2016 12:59 pm

I retained a First Impression X Blue for You seedling because of its health and deformed petal. We'll see what results from it.
first impression x blue for you (2).JPG
first impression x blue for you (1).JPG
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15