Yellow roses

A meeting place for rose breeders.

Re: Yellow roses

Postby david zlesak » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi Chuck!

It is tetraploid. John Davis is triploid as well as a couple others. It seems like some Explorers that are even tetraploid don't set seeds or take pollen from crosses to well. I wonder if the hybrids inherited that.
david zlesak

Postby johannes p » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Quote. "I find that Hazeldean is the only rose that holds its deep yellow pigment, but that's not transmitted
to it's offspring."

Do you remember what the other parents were? Did you have time to do sibling crosses or back ones?
Thanks Johannes.
johannes p

Postby chuckp » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 am

Hi Johannes,
Good question. I was out harvesting hips yesterday. Since I keep track of my failures as well as my successful crosses.
I couldn't help but noticing on some of the F1 kordesii breeding stock, the intended cross failed and right next to it,
are fat, juicy hips that are open pollinated.
.....So, it's not that ALL of the kordesii derived seedlings are infertile, it's more like what DavidZ stated.

[quote="david zlesak"]Hi Chuck, what were your other parents with 'Rise 'N Shine'? Perhaps the genetics and/or ploidy are enough different with these other parent(s) to limit or impact fertility of the hybrids.[/quote]

Last year I recovered and germinated some of these OP hips. With space at a premium, these are the first to go. I'll
have to rethink this practice. Thanks Johannes.
ChuckP
chuckp

Previous

Return to Rose Hybridizers Association Forum