Dr Huey just for grins?

A meeting place for rose breeders.
jrichardson

Dr Huey just for grins?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:24 am

I have a Dr Huey that is a surviving rootstock. I noticed it was blooming this week. According to Helpmefind not much has been done with it. Has anyone else worked with it? I have two of my own roses that have good root systems that I think I will put on it and see what happens.
Joan Richardson
Zone 8
Deep In The Heart Of Hot Dry Texas

Larry Davis

Re: Dr Huey just for grins?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:02 am

There is purported to be an repeat-blooming offspring, but I am suspicious. I have used Rainbow KO pollen on it two years in a row. Got seed each time about 1 per hip. But you don't need to emasculate the flowers, just dump on pollen. ONly around 1/10 to 1/5 pollinations make a hip. First year 2 look like Dr, 2 like RKO in foliage and growth and thorns. 2nd year a very few repeat-bloomers, quite a few vigorous and some disease-resistant. Those are now in the ground about a foot tall at best. They survived down to 0 F last winter with minimal cover so hardiness is like the parents. Will see if I get flowers this year. Just beginning to make shoots.

andre carl

Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 am

I've used the Dr. for a few years as I try to create a good/better rootstock for my own personal use but the good Doc has so far proven a bit difficult to work with as a seed parent. About 75% will abort and, as Don mentions, the few hips you get have only 1-3 seeds inside. Germination is fairly good at least. I do like the color of the bloom (some people don't) so if I by chance develop something descent with it I would be pretty happy.

This year I am going to crossing DH both ways with Basye's Thornless wichurana, IXLR, and the two Route 66 X Basye's Legacy once blooming climbers I received from Jackie R. a few years back. The hope is to get good roots, good health, thornless, and huge dose of vigor. If I can get something like IXLR as a rootstock without the sunburn issues I would be extremely happy. We'll see how the combo of all of these goes.

david zlesak

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:10 pm

I counted the chromosomes of 'Dr. Huey' a few years back and it is triploid.

Larry Davis

Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:18 pm

Triploidy is why I use Rainbow KO on Dr H. That way unless both parents produce a lot of aneuploids, you can get diploids and tetraploids both ways. I'd say Dr H is at least as fertile as RKO as a female parent. I don't have RKO myself, I'm just a pollen-pincher. My observation of equal 2:2 appearance like each parent could mean two triploids with the balance leaning toward one parent or the other. Might not mean anything at all. The next lot is also fairly mixed and it is my rough observation that the ones with better BS resistance are the ones looking more like RKO than Dr H. I discarded the bad ones before winter, and winter culled some tender ones. We'll see what comes through. RKO tends to intensify red color in pink roses and may assist in keeping the red in the offspring.