Leverkusen

A meeting place for rose breeders.
philip_la

Leverkusen

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:23 pm

I've read of this rose for years, but never so much as seen a plant of it...
What are folks' experiences with this yellow Kordesii? Any point in returning to it for crosses? Does it fair well in hotter climates?

Parentage: Rosa kordesii H. Wulff × Golden Glow (climber, Brownell, 1937)

That pedigree sounds kinda promising to me, but Golden Glow is listed as a once bloomer, so I'm wondering if there is potential for remontant roses from Leverkusen F1. There appears to be some confusion as to whether Leverkusen is truly remontant. It strikes me that it might offer cold-hardy offspring, but I don't know about heat tolerance.

thanks.
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

JohnJel
Location: Zone 7, Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley, Gladstone, OR

Re: Leverkusen

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Hello Philip,

Vintage Gardens used to carry Leverkusen but it's out of business now. Heirloom Roses also used to carry it. It has changed owners now and is still in business.

Another German rose that I grew and was impressed with (from Heirloom Roses) was Zitronenfalter, Tantau, 1956. It repeats, is fragrant, and is a perfectly shaped shrub. Its bloom a soft clear yellow. I planted it over 10 years ago at my workplace in Dayton, Oregon. It's not lised by Heirloom any more.

I just purchased a new rooted cutting from Heirloom Roses called Well-Being (Harkness Roses). It's yellow and has won a top fragrance award in Europe. I'm anxious to see how it will do.
[color=#0000BF]John Jelinek, Gladstone, Oregon
Zone 7 Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley[/color]

david zlesak

Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:28 pm

I'm in a cold climate and Leverkusen was a bit tender for me. If I remember right it didn't set seeds well. That may be due to it being stressed by winters though and staying relatively small. It has above average health and was a relatively soft yellow. The double flowers were pretty. I think I got mine from Pickering. That was many years ago though. I wonder if a newer darker yellow climber like Kordes Golden Gate may be a good fit for you. It is relatively healthy and seems to set op hips somewhat well. Maybe it comes out of some of their R. x kordesii lines.

philip_la

Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Thank you, David! Reviewing both the German Kordes site, and several other reviews, I have to say that sounds like a big winner. Has anyone worked with this Kordes' Golden Gate climber? It appears quite healthy for a yellow, and its saturation surpasses that of Kordes' Sunny Sky, which I was considering acquiring for its health and form. (Though GG doesn't have the same formality of bloom as SS).
Philip F.
[size=small][color=#669966]Zone 8 / Sunset Zn 30 (Austin, TX -- formerly New Orleans, LA)[/color][/size]

roseseek

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 am

One you might look at, Philip, is Lichtkonigin Lucia. It was very good in Newhall and Los Angeles for a "cold climate yellow". http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.3807 It contains two yellows which have been discussed here before.
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks, Kim. I actually ordered this one from Vintage a little while ago. It hasn't done that terribly well in its current location, but it is perhaps a cultivation issue. Maybe it still needs a little time to settle in? (It doesn't look 100% like photos I see posted online...)

But of course, you know me, and at the end of the day, I'm probably inquiring more out of academic curiosity. Parenthood and real life concerns have put a damper on playing in the pollen (as has this new climate I'm still getting used to! Why won't my blasted roses release more pollen here???)

I flatter myself to think that some useless queries I post might lead to discussions that will help someone *else*! LOL.
Philip F.

roseseek

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 pm

You might need to dry the anthers longer than usual, or even try grinding them. You would be surprised how even innocent comments can trigger ideas! I don't think you flatter yourself at all. Seriously!
Kim
California Central Coast
USDA Zone 9b
Sunset Zone 15
Cooler inland coastal valley with strong marine influence

philip_la

Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:57 pm

I enjoy thinking so ;-) and the forum is all about sharing ideas and inspiring each other, I suppose...
Philip F.

andre carl

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 pm

I couldn't tell you how many crosses I have done because of something I read while reading the forum.

I actually grow both Leverkusen and Lichtkonigin Lucia and was planning on using them this year so I can definitely do some testing on how and what they produce. I also have Zeus, which, while still small, has really started to prove itself a worthy garden plant for me. All three are pretty good yellow climbers here so I think taking them out for a spin would be worthwhile. We'll see

JohnJel
Location: Zone 7, Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley, Gladstone, OR

Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:35 pm

I have planted a yellow climber that I believe was named King Tut. It's up to 7 - 8 ft high, disease resistant, deep yellow, once blooming with some fall repeat. About 25-30 petals. Dark green foliage. I tracked it down in the Modern Roses XII. They referred to Laura Ford, Cl Min. (CHEwarvel). There is a picture of Laura Ford in Botanica Roses. A synonym for Laura Ford is Normandy. Warner, UK 1989. (Anna Ford x Elizabeth of Glamis) x Galway Boy x Sutter's Gold). Royal Rose Society Certificate of Merit 1988. Royal Horticultural Society Garden Merit 1993.

I made a cutting of King Tut and planted it by my church. It's very vigorous in that location.

I set the King Tut in my yard back by spreading borax to kill some brush behind it, but it has come back. I recommend this rose for further development of yellow climbers. It has been growing in the Portland, Oregon Rose Test Garden. They also have the Golden Gate climber.
[color=#0000BF]John Jelinek, Gladstone, Oregon
Zone 7 Mid-Coastal Oregon, Willamette Valley[/color]